Attention Kansas Royalty Owners:
Section 55-1622 of the Kansas Statutes gives an owner of a royalty interest in oil or gas produced in Kansas the right to specifically request any of the following information from a payor about the owner’s royalty payment and the wells for which is made:
• Each lease and name
• Property or well identification number used by the payor for royalty payment purposes
• The field name
• Total produced volume for a given sales period
• Listing of the amount and purpose of deductions or adjustments from the royalty owner’s share of the sale not identified on the payment statement
• Whether any payments reported are from a split-stream sale
• Whether the sale of any of the production for which payment is made by payor has been made to an affiliate of the payor
The request by the royalty owner must be made in writing, specifying the information desired and the sales period or periods for which the information is needed. The payor must respond to such a request by certified mail not later than the 60th day after the date of the request is received. For more information on this law, please refer to the Kansas legislation website.
Attention Texas Royalty Owners:
Section 91.504, Texas Natural Resources Code, gives an owner of a royalty interest in oil or gas produced in Texas the right to request from a payor information about the following that may not have been provided to the royalty interest owner:
• Itemized deductions
• The heating value of the gas
• The Railroad Commission of Texas’ identification number for the lease, property, or well
The request must be in writing and must be made by certified mail. A payor must respond to this request by certified mail not later than the 60th day after the date the request is received. Additional information regarding production and related information may be obtained by contacting the Railroad Commission of Texas’ Office of Public Assistance or accessing the Commission’s website.